Bluefin Watch Lists, Columns, and Scans (updated)

Watch Lists

Today’s Earnings – This list provides stocks with earnings from the close of the previous day to before the open of today.

Post Earnings Surprise – This list provides all stocks that had a move of 6% or greater on the day of its earnings announcement.

Emerging 50 – This list spots stocks in the top sectors that haven’t caught up with the leaders found in the Sector 50. All stocks in this list will have a 30-day growth less than 10%. .

Sector 50 – This list takes advantage of the concept “Stocks move in groups’. It compares the individual stock strength along with the sector strength to give us a list of stocks currently leading the market.

IPOs – This list tracks IPOs in the past two years.

Value 50  – In an effort to reproduce the Kirkpatrick method of stock selection, we took stocks with a high relative strength and compared that against the valuation of that stock to get this list.

Short 25 – These stocks are hitting higher levels of momentum with a high amount of short interest. We’re attempting to catch a Short squeeze.
The following columns are provided:

Symbol – The symbol for the company. You can click the symbol to open a new window over at StockCharts.com. This is how I view the chart on a mobile device.
Sector – The sector name for the stock.

Watch List – The specific watch list the stock is in. Many times you will see the same symbol listed because it is across many lists. I find this useful because with a glance I can see if the stock was an earnings surprise as well as being in the Sector 50.

Scans

The Percolator - Scans across all watch lists in the system looking for a 2% move or greater on a volume surge greater than 50%. Volume Surge is calculated based off 100 day average. Five day growth is less than 5% and the stock is reaching a five day high.

Harpoon - Scans across all watch lists and every stock in the Top 20 Sectors for a net change of $1.00 or greater. The 30 day growth must be less than 10% and the stock is reaching a five day high.

StockBee Scans - Please visit the StockBee Trading Guide for details.

Columns

Last – The last price traded for the stock. Quotes are 20 minute delayed.

%Chg – The percent change for the stock.

VolThrust – The volume surge the stock is experiencing. Volume surge is the 100 day average volume divided by today’s volume.

Float – The number of shares available to the public for trading.

RS – The Relative Strength for the stock (C - AVGC126) / AVGC126.

TrdInt - Stock Bee Trend Intensity

1MthG – Monthly Growth as of yesterday’s close.

6MthHi – Distance in Percent from six month high.

Stop – The stop price for your stock. Calculated as low for the past two days.

TotShrs – Total shares you can purchase based on your total capital.

Risk (1%) – Total amount at risk for a 1% risk trade.

RR - Risk Reward based on 10% Target from current price using today's low.

18 Response to Bluefin Watch Lists, Columns, and Scans (updated)

October 3, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Quick question on $Vol, is that in thousands (000) or as in Telechart (0000). i.e. does a value of 3417 mean, $3,417,000 or $34,170,000.
I know the answer based on what I am seeing in Telechart ($34,170,000).
It would be helpful to have that defined/detailed on the help page for others.
Once again, thanks for the wonderful tool. As you mentioned on Stockbee, just like you I too am a working stiff, so have limited time on hand to shortlist candidates.

October 4, 2010 at 2:02 PM

(0000) StockManiac. I left it out of the column to conserve room. Will add it to the column descriptions post. thanks.

October 9, 2010 at 8:43 AM

How do I get the Stockbee Top 25 list to look like my Telechart can list sorted by MDT?

October 10, 2010 at 7:10 AM

Sort by the column "RS". The default sort is set to sort by volume surge.

October 14, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Can you please provide a video tutorial on how to use the Scans in Blufin. A brief video like a you tube post explaining each of the scans and how to play them will be helpful. Is it also possible to provide a CanSlim scan too or one similar to IBD 100 weekly list ? Thanks

October 15, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Prasan, I've been posting daily reviews of each of the watch lists and hope to add a video component in the near future. If you have specific questions drop me an email and I will try to clarify. I don't use the IBD lists all so not sure what you mean a canslim scan.

Les
October 28, 2010 at 11:31 AM

What does View Expanded Version do?

October 29, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Les, it shows more columns that were in the original version. We removed them because they were causing too much noise.

October 31, 2010 at 4:29 PM

dc, how are you calculating the top 20 sectors?
Thanks!

November 1, 2010 at 4:28 AM

Should I be able to see the bottom 50 in the drop down list under view watchlist?

I do not see it the bottom 50.

November 1, 2010 at 5:44 AM

Rhonda, we use MDT monthly formula. Drop me an email for details. Jeff, that list is only accessbile via the watch list links. It is not in Bluefin. I have updated the post. thanks.

January 14, 2011 at 7:14 AM

Can you tell me what the market monitor is showing me? I understand the first row (4%) but am not sure about the other 2 rows.

January 14, 2011 at 1:35 PM

The second row is the primary breadth indicator. When the left number (stocks up 25% in a qtr) is above the right number (stocks down 25% in a qtr) we are in a bull market. When the cross over you want to move into cash. Also, it is orange right now because breadth is at extremes and it signals a possibility of reversal. This indicator has been extremes for over a month though.

Here is a link to StockBee with detaile description of the market monitor

January 14, 2011 at 1:36 PM

The secondary trend tracks stocks up 50% or down 50% in a month. This is a short term breadth indicator, when stocks up 50% reaches 20 or higher, short term breadth is at extremes. Same goes for stocks down 50% or more being greater than 20.

February 10, 2011 at 7:10 PM

I need average volume colum not to trade few liquidity stocks.
Float is not exactly same as liquidity.

February 13, 2011 at 8:03 AM

Kento, normally I check the volume out as I'm reviewing the charts. I can look at adding this column back...think I'm capturing the data for it already.

September 12, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Where do you get your sector lists?
danfadams at gmail .com

March 30, 2014 at 2:43 AM

Wow! It is a wonderful and fundamental website about financial markets. It is very useful for us. So, I loved it. Many, many thanks to you for creating such an informative website. If you would like more information about this please visit market watch The advantage of these market watch is they allow for a vast amount of customization by the user. That same advantage can create a disadvantage for some users. Those users may not really know what they are looking for or what data criteria might produce a market watch of stocks that present the highest possible probability of a successful stock trade.